There you are, cooking up an amazing dinner. You've got your sweetheart coming over and you are singing along to that amazing Adele song, belting out the emotion and you look over and see.... FLAMES?! That was not what you planned. What now?!!?
At any point during the cooking process, a grease fire can occur. These fires can quickly become devastating and potentially fatal.
A fire only requires THREE components to burn: oxygen, heat, and fuel. The safest and smartest way to kill a grease fire is by removing one of the components. Oxygen will be the fastest to remove because it takes time for the electric burner to cool down and it’s not safe to remove the fuel (grease).
Here are the CORRECT steps to kill a grease fire:
- Turn off the electricity supply to the stove top.
- Eliminate the oxygen supply.
- Put on kitchen mitts so you don’t burn yourself
- Grab the lid that fits the pot/pan and slide it across the top of the pot/pan
- If you do not have a lid, you can use a cookie sheet and repeat the step above
- Call the fire department.
- Call SERVPRO and we can come clean your mess up and make it look “Like it never even happened”.
- Fire extinguisher
- Pour a large amount of baking soda on the flames
- Use a soaking wet cloth, and carefully drape the cloth over the pot/pan
Here is what NOT to do:
- Use water to put out the flames.
- Water is heavier than oil; therefore the water will sink to the bottom. This causes the water to rapidly heat up, and an explosion to occur.
- Swat the flames with a cloth
- Throw flour on the flames (flour is combustible)
- Move the pot/pan (not even to another stove burner)
If the heat gets to be unbearable--get out of the kitchen and call 911.